About Me

My photo
I am living and working in Downeast, Maine. This is an isolated place still in need of good internet services, good coffee and good company.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

PE4_EnVision Math Resources_Pearson Education

Ciao! Now here's something new from Ann Cannizzaro.


PE4_ EnVision MATH_Pearson Education
For this week’s practical experience, I am looking at the resource materials that are included with our current math program.  There are several technology components included.  As far as I know, I am the only person in our school currently utilizing some of these components.  We only adopted this series last year.  I am going to be the point person to investigate these “extra” teaching materials to see if they are useful for classroom implementation.  I want to know if the materials are useful simply for extra math exposure and practice, or whether the materials serve a more practical learning function.  Do the computer-based materials make math learning more engaging for students?  Do they allow more students to access math learning through multiple intelligences and brain based learning activities?  This research will also become part of my ARP.

One item I investigated, for the first time, was a CD-ROM called Math Games.  This is an item that can be used with an interactive whiteboard or on a classroom computer.  I believe that we have several copies of this game CD-ROM to enable access for an entire classroom of students in the computer lab.



I inserted the CD into my computer drive.  It loaded easily.  It immediately opened to a game menu, listing every game on the disk, with some picture support.


As you click to choose a game, you are given a description of the game and you see the skills that will be reinforced by playing the game.  Each game has three or four levels of play.  The student may choose before and during game play, the level that he/she would like to attempt.  When I played the games, they were very visual, colorful, and engaging.  They were not loud.  The sound was limited and gentle on the ear.  There was feedback given for incorrect answers, as well as recognition screens for successful completion of the game.

Compared to other games I’ve seen my students play, these seem less distracting.  They are more focused on the content, and less on entertainment.  They are not action-packed with crazy effects of action and sound.  Rather, they allow students an engaging environment in which to practice and master mathematics concepts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ciao! Ann Cannizzaro would appreciate your comments!: