About Me

My photo
I am living and working in Downeast, Maine. This is an isolated place still in need of good internet services, good coffee and good company.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

BP9_VirtualManipulatives_Week3Web2.0Tool

Ciao! Now here's something new from Ann Cannizzaro.


Students can choose from a variety of manipulatives and activities to hone their basic math skills.



This week, I am investigating Web 2.0 tools to use with my students during our computer lab time.  My current focus is on math, so I am choosing math practice/game sites to use.  I am hoping to find three to five sites to bookmark for my students, using visual bookmark buttons from www.Tizmos.com.  Tizmos is a site where you can collect thumbnails of preferred sites on one page, to access sites easily, and have less navigation steps.  This is key when working with students in a lab setting.  I want to create a desktop icon that will link to a folder of the sites.  The students may then choose a site to use for our computer lab time.

One link will be to the National Library of Virtual Manipulatives, hosted by Utah State University.  The site features math tools for students to use in five targeted categories: Numbers and Operations, Algebra, Geometry, Measurement, and Data Analysis & Probability.  The tools are separated by grade level spans:  Pre-K – 2, 3 – 5, 6 – 8, and 9 – 12.

Upon opening the page, a matrix appears, showing students working at computers in a school environment.  My students will be directed to click on a box in the second column of the matrix, under the Pre-K – 2 level indicator.  I would have them begin with the top box – Numbers and Operations.  Once they click here, they are then looking at a page with 30 different items to choose from.  The list goes from bar graphs to spinners, with many activities in between – including money, number lines, and color patterns.

I think at first, I will allow for free exploration.  I would like to see what my students are drawn to.  They will go to things that look familiar first, and then branch out from there.  That is my prediction.

The color pattern practice has color, sound, and movement as part of the animated manipulative environment.  Students are building a string of beads and must continue the pattern.  They have a chance to check their answer and receive a trumpet blast if they are correct.  When I heard the trumpets, I wanted to do more work!

Each activity provides links at the top of the page to instructions, mathematics standards, additional activities to extend learning opportunities, and teaching notes for teachers and parents.  Each of the links provides a greater depth of information for further exploration using the virtual manipulatives.  The more I work with the items, the more connections I can make to my classroom experience.  I am looking forward to using this tool this week in our computer lab!




1 comment:

  1. Ann,
    Wow, what a great resource! I love how they break down the activities according to age levels. There are some activities that would completely go over my students' heads, however, it is nice to have some activities in there that could challenge those students who need to be challenged. After looking on the site a little more, I realized that I can even use this as an assessment tool without having to print out a bunch of worksheets. Thanks for sharing this wonderful resource with us.

    ReplyDelete

Ciao! Ann Cannizzaro would appreciate your comments!: