About Me

My photo
I am living and working in Downeast, Maine. This is an isolated place still in need of good internet services, good coffee and good company.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Wk3_Blog: My Response to Meghan Bassett

Ciao! Now here's something new from Ann Cannizzaro.


Meghan Bassett's Blog Post

Wk3 Reading: Art of Possibility Chapters 5-8


In the first chapter Leading From Any Chair, I couldn’t help think about my mother. She works in a school as the secretary to the principal. The principal received an email last week that a report needed to be ran. He never told my mother or the person that was supposed to run the report, but my mom found out from another school. When she brought it up that he may have missed an email, he said he never received it. A few hours later, after going back to him again, he forwarded the email and said he had just gotten it (which we all know, emails are time stamped). Instead of admitting his own mistake, he, like the conductors, tried to let it slide and hoped no one noticed.
The mere act of kindness and acknowledging that other people help you do a job is severely under-used. If you give ANY kind of praise to people who are helping you, or even say thank you to them, it brings up esteem and also encourages people to continue to work hard for you. I guess we could all work on this in different ways. I personally could work on always encouraging my students in ways that they are doing well. I can be sarcastic, which doesn’t work well with all of my students.
The next Chapter, the Rule number 6, took a more person attack on a way I’ve been feeling for a week now. I was very betrayed by someone I thought I could trust. A friend of mine told another friend of mine something very personal, and very atomic. I knew that the word had spread, and I wasn’t sure of where it had started. I found out and instead of confronting the issue, I recoiled and hid from everyone. Here, I need to follow Rule number 6, and stop taking myself so seriously. People talk, and say things that aren’t theirs to say, and sometimes there are things that get said that we don’t want said. It’s a part of human nature, and if I really didn’t want anyone to know, I wouldn’t have said it in the first place. I’m still hurt, but I’m letting it go in my own time.
The Way Things Are…I’ve always tried to see the cloud with a silver lining, and look on the bright side of things. A much easier said than done thing to accomplish. I’m one of those people, once I start feeling negative, everything that’s negative seems to find me. I’m sure that has everything to do with the way I am looking at things, rather than the world being out to get me. If we can laugh and play with the bad things that happen to us, a much more light hearted attitude would be had by everyone around us!
I would love to give way to passion more. Sometimes we are so stuck in living life day to day we forget to give in to the natural flow of life an energy. I try to recognize the energy around me, but I’ll be honest…the only real times I feel a surge of energy run through me are when I’m by the ocean watching the waves, or listening to music and painting. Then I can truly let passion run through me and I feel at one with everything around me.


Ann Cannizzaro  said...
Meghan, You always speak with so much honesty and truth. You have shared in your post some difficult situations that we can all recognize. It is likely that we have all encountered similar problems in our work lives. I find that the most difficult situations at school arise from mis-communications, lack of communication, and lack of vision and leadership. The problem with not having good leadership from administration, is that many others will try to step into position and make decisions that aren't theirs to make. This causes feelings of frustration, mistrust, and even fear amongst the staff. Everyone wonders why "so and so" is calling the shots, and not the principal. Lack of communication is a problem with the adults at school and the students. Parents also come into play in many situations. Routine notices and monthly newsletters can go a long way in alleviating many communications issues. Finally, mis-communications often happen through the rumor mill. We can all help to end rumors and model clear communications in the way we handle difficult situations at school. Thanks for your post.
Image from Google Images

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ciao! Ann Cannizzaro would appreciate your comments!: