About Me

My photo
I am living and working in Downeast, Maine. This is an isolated place still in need of good internet services, good coffee and good company.

Friday, May 6, 2011

Wk1_Blog: My Response to Sue Calland

Ciao! Now here's something new from Ann Cannizzaro.
Here again, a response to another classmate's blog post.






WEDNESDAY, MAY 4, 2011


MAC Blog Post 1 week 1: Copyright Issues

 I really learned a lot from the Good Copy/Bad Copy video. Prior to watching this video, it was not completely clear to me what was legal as far as taking parts of recorded music and splicing lots of different pieces together.  There definitely seems to be a lot of copyrighting and piracy occurring.  The 6 billion dollar loss which the film industry faces due to piracy each year was completely shocking to me along with the 7 billion dollars being lost in the music industry.  I definitely agree that there might need to be a change in the law in order to refrain from having individual’s creativity stifled.  Making music, especially older music, more accessible to kids, would allow them to be able to use something that is not being used at all at this time.  Although I currently do not use much music during my teaching, I am definitely more aware of where I get my materials to use in my classroom.  It also made me think about the many copyright issues that exist for use of everyday materials.  It is definitely safer to use my own images and creations.  I have to admit, it makes my head spin.  (Original photo by Susan Calland)
My response to Sue:




Susan,
I know what you mean about having your head spinning over all of the complicated and overwhelming information about copyright and fair use.
I am inclined to learn more about creating my own music and images for work I'd like to publish.
I am glad for places like creative commons too. Though I am creative, and enjoy creating work, many others have great ideas but limited creative means to express them. Having music and images available for use online, allows students and others to experiment and learn to create. In the end, their growth in confidence and ability will then bloom with newfound creativity. The creative commons model is a good bridge to the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ciao! Ann Cannizzaro would appreciate your comments!: