About Me

My photo
I am living and working in Downeast, Maine. This is an isolated place still in need of good internet services, good coffee and good company.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Week2_Open Topic Blog Post

Ciao! Now here's something new from Ann Cannizzaro.
Orienting the Screen









I have just finished looking at classroom data tables from last year's class and this year's class.  There is a huge difference in how the students performed.  I looked specifically at reading, spelling, and math average scores for the last quarter of the year.  Last year's class of 19 students had only seven students who passed all three subject areas with a score of 75 or better.  That means that 12 students scored below a 75 in at least one area, if not two or three.  This year's group seems to be much more on target.  In a class of 16 students, only three had average scores below 75 in one or more subject areas.  There are 13 students who surpassed the 75 benchmark in all three subject areas under consideration.  That doubles last year's record.


I'd like to think that my involvement with Full Sail University this year has made a difference for my students.  The integration of technology has invigorated my teaching and perhaps has increased engagement levels for my students.  I have put a lot of time and effort into planning for the use of multimedia in my classroom presentations and the response of the students is very positive.  The short, intensive interactions with technology result in greater learning of concepts.  Students are able to view a demonstration from beginning to end.  Few distractions come up during viewing.  There is a greater willingness to practice skills after viewing a lesson module.  And, students will choose to increase their skill development when it can be done in a game format.  This was demonstrated as students worked to complete assignments with time left over to play Mind Point Quiz Show, a game based review and practice module packaged with our current math program, EnVisions Math.


Here are a few snaps of my students interacting with technology and showing some of their products.



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Ciao! Ann Cannizzaro would appreciate your comments!: